It never stops being true.
I am in the middle of a setback. It is not minor or major. It is a setback that requires me to be aware about my possibilities and patient with my emotions. I’m doing a lot of reading and listening to help me live through the setback. I’m sharing my reading/listening list because maybe you will find some insight and comfort, as well.
- I found out that Senior Advisor to President Obama Valerie Jarrett’s favorite Earth Wind & Fire song is ‘Reasons,’ thanks to the Another Round podcast.
- It is an ongoing juggle to work in environments that demand conformity at the risk of your emotional health. Erica Joy shares her work journey as a black women in the tech industry.
- Insightful post-mortem on how SB Nation pushed a story on football player/police office/convicted rapist Daniel Holzclaw through the editorial process. Note: It is valuable to listen to all perspectives when it comes to stories on people who are convicted rapists.
- I read 4 Ways to Avoid Toxic Relationships Altogether once a month. #LIFEAFFIRMING
- I can’t stop listening to Sunday Candy. Thanks, NY TIMES.
- Texting while dating is hard. Texting while dating is harder when you use texting as a weird weapon of leverage.
Happy reading and listening,
it is not a fixed list but a guide….this is what I’m working on becoming before I die…
Great sense of humor /wicked sense of humor
Skilled with his hands (able to fix things)
Healthy well-adjusted relationships in personal and professional life
Kind of heart – connected to the world in a meaningful way
- Knows what’s important to argue over and what’s not
- Cares about people and wants to make a difference in life
- Not a dreamer but in touch with his inner child (but not arrested development)
· Knows how to take a weekend off to go to Tahiti and why
· Values reciprocity (and acts accordingly)
· Has an inner asshole but deploys it judiciously
· Prefers fun over moping
· Challenging in debate and the head
· Intellectually curious
Each show features flawed, complicated adults in love….none of this 20something shallowness personified by every episode of Gossip Girl ever. Between Alicia, Peter & Will, Deacon & Rayna and Olivia & Fitz, I get more than a fair share of adults going through passion, obligation and regret.
Sweet fucking jesus….is that some tortured shit or what?
Having a moment where I want to swallow up every experience. Promise to come back when the consuming becomes what it’s meant to become.