…it’s really indulgent and luxurious spending two hours enjoying:
- impeccable taste in wardrobe & home decor
- money not being an obstacle to living life, which frees them up to be very very articulate yet neurotic about love and lust.
- therapy not being treated like a cold sore.
- an excellent marriage of music with plot. There used to be a clip of a montage in Something’s Gotta Give with Maroon 5‘s ‘Sunday Morning’ available, but I can’t find it. I SUCK. But it perfectly captures the Nancy Meyers aesthetic: casual elegant lifestyle porn with a dollop of neurotica. Also there’s a scene in It’s Complicated of Alec Baldwin & Meryl Streep dancing to Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers‘ ‘Don’t Do Me Like That‘ that just rules.
- older white upper middle class people falling in & out of love.